Tuesday, August 25, 2015

AUGUST 23 - CATACOCHA TO MACARA

This is a short day - 85 km, 1530 A, 2440 D. It will also be our last night in Ecuador.

You've seen the scenery - the morning was the same as yesterday.  New wildlife -  turkeys!









We saw a few of these unusual trees along the way.  Apparently, they are hollow, so are of no economic importance.











A new flower today, very delicate pink with a long trumpet.










One of the rivers we crossed.  There were a couple of track hoes in the river behind a coffer dam.  We think they may have been gravel mining.









Another tree with a lot of parasitic plants on it.













This looks to be a lot of small tree harvesting operations (clear cuts?).  We saw a lot of these today.  It looks like the land suffers for it.









We got our usual early start, so we hit the lunch truck at abour 0930.  After a lunch we continued, but it got hot.  I stopped by a stream and dipped my towel in it and hung it around my neck to help cool me (a trick we learned in Australia and we dubbed the Ausie air conditioner).  We've seen many instances of black poly pipe being run along the roadway from a creek to houses along the road.



Our accommodation near Catacocha - called Hosteria Candamo (the view from our room).  Kind of out of the way, but it had a pool and, to Laura's delight, we could get a room hwere.  Cost all of $25.  It is Sunday so all the stores in town were closed.  I amused myself by truing my front wheel to get a brake shimmy out of it.  I also had to redo one of the patches on my back wheel that I fixed yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment